Wednesday, December 16, 2009

More Session

Going back to work some more on the session ale, although I call it an amber, it could be classified into a few categories.  Really, I just think it will be a damn good beer.

Session Beer (Amber)
Style: Best Bitter/Amber Hybrid (not that the getting an exact style really matters to me)
Malts: American 2-Row, Biscuit, CaraVienne, Crystal, Munich
Hops: Mt. Hood, Nugget, Willamette
ABV: ~ 4.2%
Playlist: Rocking the Christmas tunes, best songs you may not have heard include "Christmas in Hollis" by Run DMC and Wyclef's version of "Little Drummer Boy"

The Peppermint Chocolate Stout is done and I tried some samples today.  It is exactly what I was shooting for, it tastes like peppermint bark.  I know it is a weird flavor for a beer, but the flavors do work well together.  The aroma is peppermint up front, but is subtle in the taste.  There is dark chocolate in the aroma, but it takes a back seat to the mint.  It tastes rather sweet, but that is balanced nicely with the bitter chocolate finish, which lingers for a while.  Although it is good, I can't think of a circumstance where I would want to have a second pint in one sitting.  I will be sure to bottle a bunch of this and get it out to people so that they can try it.  My guess is that the opinions will be split between "wow this is really good" and "what the hell were you thinking," I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment